Friday, September 10, 2010

Winning at Whack-A-Mole

Last week it felt like someone kicked over my block tower.  But really, it wasn't built all that sturdily to begin with.  I guess it was more of a challenge to build something with a solid foundation that wasn't all flair and cattywampus angles all over the place.  Challenge accepted. 

Like I told the Building Permit guy last week when I showed up with only half the paperwork I needed for the garage conversion thinking maybe we could get started on something and I could fax the rest later but he said "nuh-uh" in spite of my winning smile and batted eyelashes, "Oh.  So you're saying I need to have my act all the way together before this can start.  Well...that almost never happens.  Okay then, when the temperature in hell starts dropping rapidly, you'll know I'm on my way."  He practically fell out of his chair laughing as I left the office. 

And you know what I have to say to that?  Grab your jackets, people.  There's a cold front moving in.

Because things are really coming together.  Like for real, not just a smoke and mirrors back-away-from-the-curtain show of capability.  It's actually happening.  Nothing like several looming deadlines and a sense of accountability to get my ass in gear.

And the Young Life people/tailgate party debacle?  Whatever.  We're going to have our own pre-game party without them.  Not because of any perceived offense but simply because there are already enough moving parts to this Reunion Party Weekend without adding a whole other spool of red tape to the machine.  And I am humbly reminded that goals declared with the peevish stomp of a foot should be abandoned entirely. 

Garage remodel/conversion/extravaganza?  Probably starting next week.  And Bob the Builder came over yesterday and it looks like I'll be getting everything I want out of the construction process.  Not that I want anything over the top like an elevator or a Bat Cave or anything, but some of this stuff was maybe more of a fantasyland construction wish than I knew was really practical or possible for sure.  But he said it IS possible!  yay!  And it should all be finished sometime before I die of natural causes decades from now.  sweet.

My vehicular nonsense is coming along as well.  No quick fixes there and none expected on my part.  That will take time and about 17 bajillion steps (and dollars) to remedy and I am up for plodding along through the process(es) of that as well.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Steady being the key factor here.  Slow is more a byproduct of inconvenience for me.

So, that's where we are.  Unforeseen crises kept to a minimum this week thankgod.  I am winning this game of Whack-A-Mole after all.

No comments: