Friday, April 30, 2010

I Am Not a Blog-lebrity. Yet.

Alright, so I make no secret of the fact that I LOVE the MamaPop website.  It's full of snarky TV recaps and snarky pop culture observations and snarky celebrity gossip.  It's all snark, all the time over there and that couldn't please me more.  So, yay them!  And I really don't even care about celebrity gossip all that much.  I mean, this crew could be writing about developing environmentally friendly technology or spoons or something and I would read that too.  I know this because I am following, and liking, a lot of the MamaPop writers' personal blogs as well.  Just like any stalker perfectly sane and normal loyal fan would do, right?  Yeah, I thought so too.

So anyway, they redesigned the website this week.  No heads up, no one yelled "FORE!" that I could hear at least.  It was just "SURPRISE!"  Which is fine.  I am not fearful of change.  I am a roll-with-the-punches kind of chick, so this part does not bother me at all.  Seriously.  The site still takes a while to load and I don't understand why there has to be a distinction between Pop Culture and Gossip, but whatever.  I obviously don't make the rules over there and it looks fine and stuff.  So, good for you!  Nice work!  And more encouraging, complimentary things like that.

But here's the other part.  They added some new writers.  I know this because in the month or two I have been visiting this site, sometimes 17 times a day (hypothetically), I have gotten pretty familiar with the cast of characters.  Enough so that I now follow them outside of that bubble.  So the new writers were being writingy today and I was pretty quick to notice that I did not recognize these people.  What I want to know is this:  WHERE THE HELL DID THESE NEW PEOPLE COME FROM?!  Was there an application process?  I received nary a memo about that.  Did they meet at the blogapalooza last year?  Did they draw names out of a hat?  Who are these writers and how come I'm not one of them?!  Is all I'm asking.  This is harshing my whole total world domination vibe, man.

But I have to admit, they are not bad writers.  They are totally worthy of being part of the MamaPop crew.  I bet they all have matching satin jackets with their names embroidered on them and a secret handshake and stuff.  They should totally have those.  Which they would if they ever stopped by here and saw this fantastic suggestion, but CLEARLY they don't because if they DID they would have asked me weeks ago to come write for them too.  That's me being confident.  Anyway, the new writers are good and they even made me go check out twitter a couple of times today which I hardly ever do.

Because, here's the thing.  I don't understand twitter AT ALL!  I missed the rise of that trend entirely.  At least on facebook I can see whole conversations in the comment threads.  With twitter, it's all one-sided.  Twitter does not make for easy stalking because I like my stalking to be multi-layered as you may have noticed.  Anyway, there's all these RTs and hashtags and tiny.bit whatevers and HUH?  This is really pissing me off because who the hell are you talking to and what are you trying to say?!  stupid twitter.

In summation:
1.  MamaPop kicks ass
2.  They redesigned their website this week
3.  I am insanely slightly jealous of their new writers
4.  Twitter baffles me

2 comments:

Jen O. said...

Hi ya! Thanks for all the MamaPop love.

Twitter lesson #1 and probably the only lesson you'll need: Twitter is all about the one liners and the one-up-manship of one liners. If a conversation starts, it's totally by accident and you better create a flow chart in order to keep track, but convos are not the point. The point is the one-liners.

I hope that helps.

Silver said...

That's all it is?! Just the one liners? Really? I need to stop overthinking. duh. whew. Thank you, Jen. That does help.

[holds up lighter for MamaPop crew]