Friday, July 18, 2008

Accidental beach thinking

Has anyone else seen Generation Kill on HBO? I watched the first episode twice this week. First for my own edification then again to share with friends.

See, my best friend's brother is a Marine in Iraq at this moment and while I wanted to watch just 'cause I like boy stuff like that sometimes, after spending a weekend with her and her candle in the window for his safe return, watching meant something different for me than I expected it would when I first saw the promos.

I have a long lost friend who is somewhere over there now and given what I understand of his skill and ability is no doubt doing important work that I will never be allowed to know about in full. As it should be.

I sat on the beach today and waved to military helicopters as they flew over doing drills.

The whole time, all I could think was, "thank you."

No comments: