Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Daunting Task of Details

I really need to plan my grocery shopping better.  It was so nice to not have to run by the store this afternoon to pick up ingredients for dinner.  We had meatloaf, brown rice and peas and I didn't even have to leave the house.  I used to be much better at buying groceries in bulk and planning out meals.  I don't know exactly when this became a memory.

But for the longest time now it seems that if Tyler whatshisname, that dude on the Food channel who claims to be able to create a surprising gourmet meal from the random contents of your pantry, were to show up at my house one afternoon then I'd have to say, "Uh...okay.  Can of tuna, tub of shortening, bottle of worcestershire...GO!" and then simultaneously die from laughing and embarrassment at having such a poorly stocked kitchen on cable television.  That's definitely not how I'd like to make my national debut.

So, grocery shopping.  Need to plan better.  For being as organized as I am with reunion stuff (now) and getting this driving situation under control (finally), I approach most areas of my life with a general five-second-rule attitude.  Can't see it from an airplane.  Good enough.  that type of thing.  I hear the devil is in the details, you see.  I'm not a religious person but I don't want to take any chances.  I shut my eyes behind a pillow with my ears plugged watched the Exorcist once and ever since that nightmarish afternoon and subsequent month of insomnia, I made it my policy to avoid devil-related things.  including details.

I may have to relax the ban on details however.  Paying attention to them seems to be a growing theme lately and has worked out for the best in most cases.  But attending to details in all areas of my life?  Like dusting even?  As you might imagine, I'm a bit apprehensive.  This is new territory.  As you know, I don't fear change but we're talking about undoing decades of programming here and that's a pretty daunting prospect.

We'll start small.  Menu planning and grocery lists.  But if furniture starts moving of its own accord then all bets are off.  And I will never in a thousand years make pea soup.

No comments: