Wednesday, February 15, 2012

There Is No Try

Thing 1 currently thinks the universe is like a Pac Man game where you exit one side of the maze and arrive on the exact other side of the same track repeating the path 'til you conquer that rightly and get to the next level of the game.

I have to say, from a philosophical, theoretical, universal standpoint, I think he's right.

So, how long are you going to play this same screen until you level up? How long am I?

I'm saying this because I went on a ski trip for the first time in 12 years this weekend. I was going to try snowboarding but I chickened out at the last minute justifying to myself that getting on skis after so long was challenge enough. And after seeing all the downed boarders on the slopes, why actively try to kill myself?

So I strapped on skis familiar.

And stayed on the beginner slopes all weekend even though I probably could have made it mostly alive down the intermediate runs a couple of times at least. I'm pretty sure of this because I leaned in and let go, and I didn't die even one single time.  Granted this was on the green slopes, even the steeper ones. but still.

I didn't challenge myself beyond that victory. At the same time I'm proud of doing what I know I can, I regret the knowing that I didn't try for more. If I got hit by a bus tomorrow I'm pretty sure Not Trying The Blue Slopes would flit across my mind in semi consciousness moments. It is now very important that I don't get hit by a bus before our next ski trip.

Because how else will I teach them to do if I don't?






No comments: